Form I-864 also known as Affidavit of Support is an official agreement between the sponsor of the immigrant and the government of the United States.
The sponsor takes legal responsibility to support the immigrant and his or her family if he or she experiences financial difficulties. This agreement is valid since signing till the immigrant becomes the US citizen.
Who uses Form I-864?
Form I-864 is a binding document that has to be submitted by the majority of the family-based immigrants and some of the potential employment-based immigrants. This document is required to ensure that these intending immigrants have adequate means for financial independence and are not likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence.
Who is eligible to become a sponsor?
To become a sponsor of the intending immigrant a person needs to:
Be the citizen/national of the United States or lawful permanent resident at the age of 18 or older;
Have the income of at least 125% of the federal poverty line;
Provide evidence that he or she is the US domicile (he/she lives in the US).
Do I need to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support?
When applying for a Green Card, you have to submit the completed and signed by the sponsor Form I-864 if you are:
An immediate relative of the United States citizen:
- husband or wife;
- parent of the US citizen who is 21 years or older;
- unmarried child under 21.
- A family preference immigrant:
- unmarried daughter or son of the US citizen;
- husband, wife, unmarried daughter, or son of the US lawful permanent resident;
- married daughter or son of the US citizen;
- sister or brother of the US citizen who is 21 years or older.
- An employment-based immigrant:
- whose relative is the US national, citizen, or lawful permanent resident (he or she signed the immigrant visa petition);
- whose immigrant visa petition was signed by the entity where your relative has a significant ownership interest (minimum 5%).
Satyajit Ray's fourteenth feature film, The Hero (Nayak), marked a new phase in the Indian auteur's long and varied career, as he began branching off into new and previously unexplored territory. Having first gained international acclaim for his "Apu Trilogy" ...